CHANEL'S BEST QUOTES
As well as the box-cut bouclé jackets, Breton T-shirts, pyjama styles, camellia brooches and Chanel No.5, Gabrielle Chanel left the world with a legacy of wise and witty quotes. As where to wear your perfume and the difficulties of wearing a LBD, Mademoiselle Chanel imparted her thoughts on fashion versus style, work, men and destiny. Here I have collected a selection of my favourite quotes from fashion's Grand Dame. Enjoy!
- "In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different."
- "Fashion is not simply a matter of clothes. Fashion is in the air, born upon the wind. One intuits it. It is in the sky and on the road."
- "Nature gives you the face you have at twenty. Life shapes the face you have at thirty. But at fifty you get the face you deserve."
- "Fashion passes, style remains."
- "The best things in life are free. The second best are very expensive."
- "Where should one use perfume?' a young woman asked. 'Wherever one wants to be kissed,' I said."
- "A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous."
- "Dress shabbily and they remember the dress. Dress impeccably and they remember the woman."
- "I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny."
- "There is no time for cut-and-dried monotony. There is time for work. And time for love. That leaves no other time."
- "Scheherezade is easy. A little black dress is difficult."
- "Elegance is not the perogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future."
- "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future."
- "If a man speaks badly about all women, it usually means he was burned by one."
- "Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity."
- "Fashion has become a joke. The designers have forgotten that there are women inside the dresses. Most women dress for men and want to be admired. But they must also be able to move, to get into a car without bursting their seams! Clothes must have a natural shape."
- "Adornment, what a science! Beauty, what a weapon! Modesty, what elegance!"
- "One can get used to ugliness, but never to negligence."
- "Nothing goes out of fashion sooner than a long dress with a very low neck."
- "Fashion is made to become unfashionable."
Check out my Bloglovin